top of page
Drawing Face

New Milford School District's

Student Assistance Program


Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying Program 

Learn More
Making Notes

My Qualifications

Experience You Can Count On

Home: Credentials

Addiction Counselor

1994-1996 Sunrise House Foundation: Addiction Counselor, Lafayette, New Jersey

Psycho-Educational Lecturer 

2019 - Present   American Addictions Centers headquarters Brentwood, Tennessee 

Student Assistance Coordinator

2008- Present        

New Milford High School:  District Student Assistance Coordinator, New Milford, NJ


Bergen Catholic High School: Student Assistance Coordinator, Oradell, N.J


Sussex County Technical School: Student Assistance Coordinator, Sparta, N.J.


District Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying Coordinator

2011 - Present 

Buddy Advisor      ( Bullying Undermines Developing Diverse Youths)

2011 - Present 

SAG Advisor          ( Saving A Generation)

2017 - Present 

SIGMA Advisor      ( Sexual Identity Gender Members and Allies)

2017 - Present 

Painted Heart

About Me... Dorene A. Zacher

Student assistance here to guide your child and your family

I have extensive knowledge of the educational system and clinical needs of students that I have acquired through my twenty years of experience as a Student Assistance Coordinator.  I am a highly motivated, creative problem solver who plays a proactive role in working with the students and their families to address their issues in a safe and therapeutic manner.


I received a Bachelor of Science degree from Springfield College, a Masters in Counseling degree from Montclair State University, State Licensure /Certification from the State of New Jersey, and a Substance Awareness Coordinator and Advanced Counseling Certificate from Montclair State University. I  also hold a certificate as a Child Adolescent Trauma Professional.

I have been honored to work as the New Milford School District's Student Assistance Coordinator for the past 13 years.


Since 2011, I assumed the position of New Milford School District's Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying Coordinator.  Throughout all these years, the students, administration, faculty and parents, have collaboratively pulled together to be the voice of the students who may not be "heard".

Home: About Me
Home: Famous Quote
Smiling Student

Walking into Mrs. Zacher's office is the first step in feeling better!

M.W. Class of 2019

Services I Offer

With You Every Step of the Way

Home: Services

Zoom Sessions, Referrals & Consultations

COVID-19 has directly impacted the mental health of all individuals in our society.  The required social distancing  can directly impact a person's stress and anxiety due to a sense of isolation, loneliness and the fear of the unknown.  Coping with these emotions in a healthy way will allow the community to address these needs.  If you or your child appears withdrawn, sad, anxious or just struggling, please contact me.


As a parent or a student, it may help to talk to someone who will listen without judgement? If so, maybe it is time to seek guidance through the Student Assistance Office. A parent/ guardian, or the child themselves can reach out to me to schedule such services. 


Contact me today and let me help you find the best in yourself and your family,

I am here for you, your family, the New Milford Community


Media Buzz

E-Cigarettes and Teens


Teen Depression


COVID-19 Children and Teens  


Home: News

Individual Sessions

A Happier, Healthier You

I will offer the students a safe and nurturing environment where they are free to discuss their current problems and assist them to improve their sense of self and coping skills. Together, we will address their  behaviors and develop valuable tools to be able to handle life’s obstacles. 


If the students require clinical services that fall outside the scope of the school, I will assist the student and their family with the referral process.

School Consultation Session

Here For You

Parents if your child is feeling alone and addressing behavioral issues such as drug and alcohol abuse, violence, bullying, depression, suicide, stress, anxiety,  gambling, eating disorders, gang involvement, and/or other social/emotional issues, I promise you, they are not alone. 


An initial intake can be performed to determine the severity of their situation and how we can address their needs in a safe and therapeutic manner.

You reaching out is the first step in helping yourself or your child during these difficult times. 


Referrals and Consultations 

I Will Do The Talking

I will listen to your child and you regarding their needs, I will discuss with you any recommendations that I professionally believe will assist you, your child and your family.  

If a recommendation for outside therapeutic services is recommended,  I will communicate your fears, concerns and symptomatic behaviors that your child is presenting with  to the clinical professional  in a confidential manner, one in which protects your  rights.  I will advocate for the rights of  your child and your family. 

If you are concerned, have questions please contact me and discuss your concerns.  Together, we can make a difference in protecting our school community, your child or yourself.   Call me at 201-262-0172 Ext. 2013, or email me at




School Violence

Do you know all of the signs?

The Bullying Bystander

What would you do if you saw a child being bullied as an adult? What you stand up and help the student or would you ignore the situation.  Burger King knows the answer

There are times that the obvious is not apparent.

Home: News

Help Center

Home: FAQ

Can parents seek services through the Student Assistance Program directly?

Yes, parents/legal guardians can contact me directly at 201-262-0172 Ext. 2013

If my child does not have insurance, can you still assist my child to receive clinical services outside the scope of the school?

Yes, assistance will be given to assure that your child's needs are being met.

Is my child protected by confidentiality?

Students are, by nature, quite guarded regarding the disclosure of many issues (particularly drug/alcohol use) to adults. Many students worry about the conflict of interest in discussing personal issues with teachers, administrators, and guidance counselors when these are the very faculty members who grade them, discipline them, write their recommendation letters, and frequently communicate with their parents. Congress has recognized these obstacles and created federal confidentiality regulations (42 CFR Part 2), providing student access to confidential treatment for alcohol and drug related issues. In the event that other issues surface, the SAC is best equipped to communicate the nature of the problem with both the student and their family, and develop an appropriate treatment plan, which might involve additional community resources when necessary.

Does the S.A.C. only address substance issues?

No. The creation of the Student Assistance Coordinator (SAC) position in many school districts throughout New Jersey has been the most effective strategy to identify, address, and monitor individual students as well as coordinate and oversee district prevention/intervention efforts. The SAC is best suited to address drug and alcohol abuse, violence, bullying, depression, suicide, stress and anxiety disorders, gambling, eating disorders, gang involvement, and other social/emotional issues thatthreaten the well-being of all students, their families, and society as a whole.

What additional services are available to me and my family?

Parents Who Host

Know The Law Before it is TOO Late

Under New Jersey State Law, anyone who purposely or knowingly offers, serves, or makes alcohol available to an underage person or entices or encourages that person to drink alcohol is a disorderly person. It is also a violation of the law for a host to make their property available (including leaving the property in the care of another person) for the consumption of alcohol by an underage person.

Contact Dorene Zacher 

145 Madison Avenue
New Milford,  New Jersey


201-262-0172 Ext. 2013

Thanks for submitting!

Home: Contact
bottom of page